Mission and Purpose
The Assessor’s office, under the general direction of the Union County Board of Taxation and the State Director of Taxation, undertakes the assessing activities of the Township as prescribed by law.
- Adds new ratables to the tax roll(s).
- Determines the taxability of each parcel, not the taxes. The tax rate is formulated by the County Tax Board from the state approved budgets of the County, the school districts, and the Municipality.
- Process building permits to determine the value for added assessments. If improvements were made to your property during the year you may receive an additional bill for this added value in October, due November 1 st .
- Responsible for establishing an assessed valuation for property in the Township as of October 1 st of the prior year.
Reviews the following applications for exemption(s) and deduction(s):
- Disabled Person(s)
- Senior Citizen(s)
Maintains the following information:
- Property Record Card(s) by Block and Lot number
- Township Tax Map
Defends appealed assessment(s). You are notified of your current year’s assessment by postcard on or before February 1 st . If you disagree with this value, you must file an appeal by April 1 st . Instruction(s) are on the reverse side of this card.
Illustrated below is the total assessment by class.
|Property||2020 Assessed||Number of Parcel(s)|
|Vacant Land||$ 9,816,200||170|
The state has Property Tax Relief Program(s) you may qualify for. You can access this information at the New Jersey Division of Taxation website at www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/relief.shtml or the below listed phone numbers:
- Property Tax Reimbursement (Freeze) (800) 882-6597
- Homestead Rebate (888) 238-1233